Glover Law

Articles + Podcasts

Glover Law is a boutique law firm that helps businesses and individuals navigate complex corporate and government affairs matters. The firm works with members of the hospitality industry on issues relating to state licenses, alcohol beverage sales, and potential franchise agreements.

Spotlight: Special Food Service Licenses


The Spotlight series is intended to provide helpful information about important business and professional licenses issued by the State of Florida. This installation is regarding the important Special Food Service license issued by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco.

Glover Law works with applicants for SFS licenses and many other licenses and permits issued by the Department of Business and Profession Regulation. Contact us for more information on the application process.

How do I qualify?

The restaurant must have a public food service establishment license from the Division of Hotels and Restaurants, at least 2,500 square feet, and the ability to serve 150 people at one time in order to qualify for an SFS license.

There are some important strings attached. 51% of food and beverage revenue must be from the sale of food and non-alcoholic beverages. The 51% rule is intended to ensure that only bona fide restaurants can obtain this affordable liquor license, and the business must be in compliance during their first 60 days of operations and for each 12 month period afterwards. 

Of course, all licensees must meet the state's moral character requirements.

How much does it cost?

Generally, an SFS license will cost $1,820 per year.

What else do I need to know?

The Division will seek to revoke the license of any establishment that does not meet the 51% rule. If you have been served with an administrative complaint, please consider consulting an attorney with experience dealing with liquor licensing issues. A business is unable to legally sell alcohol without a valid state license. More information on how to deal with an SFS revocation can be found here.  

Until recently, the SFS license was known as the "SRX" or "special restaurant" license. Many in the industry still refer to these licenses as "SRXs."

Please note that this page is made available by the law firm for educational purposes only, and that it is not intended to provide specific legal advice. Visiting this page does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm.